INDIAN ARMY OFFICER
The most respectful, adventures job in the world end at Indian Army and being an officer in the Indian Army is prestigious as an officer leads the men from front in every field whether its battle, rescue during natural calamities, social, sports or any other. Indian Army gives you professional enhancement, job satisfaction, job security economic stability that are as follows:-
1. PROFFESIONAL ADVANCEMENT :- The promotional avenues available to an Army officer are:-
(a) By Time Scale:- 1. Captain
3. Lieutenant Colonel
(b) By Selection:- 1. Colonel
3. Major General
4. Lieutenant General
2. JOB SATISFACTION :- Lack of job satisfaction leads to tremendous frustration and results in job-hopping. Jobs in the civil world whether with the government or the corporate leave one with no alternate avenues if stuck with a frustrating portfolio or set up. On the contrary, the sheer variety, sense of purpose, responsibility and pride, negate any job dissatisfaction in the Army.
3. JOB SECURITY :- For an effective career, a long-term strategy is essential and this is possible only if continuity and job security is assured. The Army has been structured to ensure that its personnel work with unhindered dignity. Additionally, statutory rules and regulations exist to safeguard the interests of the servicemen adequately both while in service and after retirement.
4. FOREIGN COURSES AND POSTINGS :- The service also offers opportunity for courses and postings abroad. The India Army is renowned all over the world and interaction with foreign armies is extensive. Service with UN Forces provides exposure and travel opportunities across the globe.
5. ECONOMIC STABILITY :- Consequent to the Sixth Pay Commission salaries have shot up. While the pay and the allowances of an Army officer may superficially appear to be at par with other Central government services, and may be less than that offered by the corporate sector, the quality of life and non-inflationary nature of the perks, which the Army offers outshine the other services. Government job entitles you to many hidden perks, which you may NOT quantify while calculating remuneration. Apparently, there are about 61 types of facilities, benefits and allowances that are applicable to Army in general. In fact if one were to work out the remuneration of a service officer vis a vis a comparable job in the private sector, on the basis of ‘cost to company’ you would be astounded to find the returns of an Army man to be more if not the same. Some of these perks which are not quantified in terms of cash and are immune to inflation are as follows in case of a Lieutenant, which is the starting rank:-.
(a) STARTING PAY RS 15600/- to 39100/-PM
(b) GRADE PAY RS 5400/-
(c) MILITARY SERVICE PAY RS 6000/-
(d) TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE RS 1600/- PM to RS 3200 pm/-
(e) FIELD AREA ALLOWANCE RS 25% of Basic Pay RS6780/- pm
(f) COUNTER INSURGENCY RS 6300/- PM
(g) HIGH ALTITUDE/UNCONGENIAL CLIMATE RS 5600/- PM
(h) SIACHEN RS 14000/- PM
(i) FLYING PAY RS 9000/- PM
(k) PARACHUTE PAY RS 1200/- PM
(l) SPECIAL FORCES RS 9000/- PM
(m) QUALIFICATION PAY/ GRANT FOR SERVICE COURSES RS 6000/- PM TO RS 20000/- PM
(n) OUTFIT ALLOWANCE RENEWED EVERY THREE YEARS RS 14000/- INITIAL & RS 3000/-
(o) 50% CONCESSION ON AIR TRAVEL
(p) FREE TRAIN TRAVEL ONCE A YEAR AND SUBSIDY FOR OTHER JOURNEYS, LTC
(q) INSURANCE COVER FOR RS 15 LAKHS AT SUBSIDISED PREMIUM
And many other benefits like canteen facility, free medical facility, low interest loan etc. also cadets at the IMA, OTA, Cadet Training Wing at CME, MCME, and MCTE get a fixed stipend of RS 2100/- PM.
6. POST RETIREMENT BENEFITS:-
(a) PENSION AT 50% OF LAST PAY DRAWN
(b) DEATH CUM RETIREMENT GRATUITY
(c) FREE MEDICAL TREATMENT INCLUDING DEPENDANTS
(d) CANTEEN FACILITIES AS BEFORE
(e) INSURANCE COVER
(f) RESETTLEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
(g) MBA PROGRAMME FOR RETIRED OFFRS
7. QUALITY OF LIFE :- As an Indian Army officer at 21, you’d be looking at a lifestyle that one cannot imagine in any other profession, so early in life. Being an Army Officer offers you challenge, adventure, excitement, honour, prestige, self respect, whole some family life, safety and security for the family and to top it all the love, respect and esteem of our great India. In the somewhat chaotic social and economic conditions that prevail in our country, Army life is an island of sanity and social order that is the envy of our countrymen. Quality of life is an important attribute of Army life, and has no parallel in any other service. Some of the intangibles, which go to make the quality of life in the Army, are:-
(a) Service of the motherland.
(b) A profession to be proud of
(c) Opportunity to travel and know the country and its people/culture/flora and fauna
(d) Opportunity to serve and represent the nation abroad
(e) A pure and noble profession
(f) Honour and social status
(g) And many other facilities
(7) VARIETY AND ADVENTURES:- Variety and adventure are the spice and romance of life. No profession has the kind of recreational and adventure facilities to offer as the Army does; from membership of the best clubs in country to horse riding, swimming, golfing, mountaineering, trekking and sailing. Posting to exotic stations gives one an opportunity to see India and its different cultures, in all its vivid glory. You may also get a chance to go abroad on course or on posting. So, if one is looking for a profession, which goes beyond being a mere job, accept the challenge and join the Indian Army.
(8) PROFESSIONAL ENHANCEMENT:- The Army affords a very open, impartial and transparent avenue for professional enhancement. For a professionally dedicated officer with sincerity and dedication, the sky is the limit. Salient aspects of professional enhancement are as follows:-
(a) Opportunity for higher study in prestigious institutions both in India and abroad
(b) Deputation in various scientific institutions in the country including DRDO, DGQA, LRDE, BEL, ITI and host of others
(c) Foreign assignments in the UNO and Indian embassies/missions
(d) Foreign assignments in connection with the procurement of advanced technology and weaponry and training to handle and maintain the same
(e) Promotions solely based on capability and free of any extraneous consideration
And many other facilities you get when you become an Army Office.