GROUP DISCUSSION ( GD )
SSB interview spans about five days. There are numerous tests conducted by SSB Board officials to test whether a candidate is fit for recruitment or not in Indian armed forces. To clear SSB interviews, all candidates must excel in group discussion tests.
In general, group discussions are conducted on the 3rd Day of SSB. Group Training Officers (GTOs) are responsible for testing the candidates during the GDs. Discussions in a group will bring out various Officers Like Qualities (OLQs) in candidates.
During a group discussion, all candidates will be seated in a semi circle. In a batch,there will be ten to twelve candidates in SSB interviews. But this number may also increase up to twenty candidates per batch as per the total strength of SSB interview. GTO will sit in the backside of the semi-circled group. Also there may be two to three psychologists sitting and observing activities of each individual of the group during their discussion.
GTO will brief the group about the group discussion test in brief. Generally, group members will have to choose a discussion topic between the given two topics by GTO. For choosing a topic, two to three minutes will be given. So during these two to three minutes, candidates need to discuss among themselves and bring forward a topic to proceed with group discussion test. If a group can not come to a final decision about the topic to discuss, then GTO will give the topic according to his wish.
Total ten to fifteen minutes will be given to discuss about the topic. During the group discussion during the SSB interview, all candidates should involve themselves in the discussion. Generally, group discussion topics will be of current affairs or topics related to relationships between neighboring counties of India. Candidates should not become aggressive during the discussion. Also it should not look like a debate. You should discuss and bring forward the solutions or probable developments in the related issues.
Some GD Topics of SSB are given below:-
1. RAGGING - A SOCIAL EVIL.
2. SHOULD MILITARY TRAINING BE MADE COMPULSORY.
4. SPORTS IN INDIA.
5. HOW CAN BE BRAIN DRAIN BE STOPPED.
6. CRIMINALIZATION IN POLITICS.
7. COACHING INSTITUTES.
8. WHY IS CRIME INCREASING IN OUR SOCIETY
Other topics for Group Discussion which can be useful yhat are as follows :-
1. Which is better, life of a boarder or a day scholar?
2. Should capital punishment be abolished or allowed to stay in our country?
3. Should co-education be encouraged in India or not ? If so at what stage?
4. Should love marriages be encouraged in our country or not ?
5. Should corporal punishment be permitted in our educational institutions or not ?
6. Should examinations be abolished or allowed to stay in the method of selection of candidates for defence services?
7. Should compulsory military training be introduced in our educational institutions?
8. Should prohibition be enforced in India or not ?
9. Has science proved a boon or a curse to humanity ?
10. Has UNO proved a success or a failure ?
11. Should industries be nationalised or not ?
12. Who serves the country better ? A soldier, a doctor, a scientist or a politician?
13. What is the most helpful for a man ,s success in life ? Knowledge, power or wealth?
14. What quality would you prefer in a wife-beauty, health, wealth, educational or character?
15. Should India remain non-aligned ?
16. Our five year plans – have they improved the lot of the common man or not ? How would the Rolling Plan system help our economy ?
17. The best place for the women is hearth and home and not office.
18. What helps a soldier most-brain, brawn or faith?
19. Should Indian students be allowed to take part in politics ?
20. Should compulsory family planning he introduced in our country?
21. Is war desirable or inevitable ?
22. Are early or late marriage desirable ?
23. Which one would your prefer-health, riches or social status ?
24. Which is worst of the vices-gambling,drinking smoking or stealing ?
25. Should religious and moral instructions be imparted in our educational institutions?
26. Should sex education be introduced in our schools or college education ?
27. What decides a man’s future- fate or his own efforts ?
28. The Economic Liberalization has only served to widen the gap between the rich and the poor.
29. Should promotion be based on seniority or merit ?
30. Who is a greater culprit-the man who accepts bribe or the man who offers bride ?
31. Should India prepare nuclear weapons in view of Pakistan’s decision to prepare Nuclear Bomb ?
32. Should there be reservation of the seats in Parliament for women ?
33. Are the nuclear blasts by India justified ?
34. Should the basic frame work or our Constitution be changed ?
35. Is the role of the opposition parties in India justified ?
36. A plea for introducing Presidential form of Government in India.
37. Can the present scenario of rampant political corruption be rectified ?
38. Should there be a uniform civil code in Inida ?
39. Is the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) a success or a failure ?
40. Has the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) been able to make any significant contribution to the South Asian region ?
41. Do you think that reservation of seats in the public sector for backward classes should be abolished ?
42. Is the Atomic Power a curse to the humanity ?
Tips to score high marks in SSB group discussionsGroup discussion is one of the best tests of SSB interview to score good marks. But to achieve good impression with psychologists, we recommend all the candidates to keep the following things in their mind.