THEMATIC APPERCEPTION TEST ( TAT )
Thematic Apperception Test or TAT is conducted by SSB Board after completion of screening tests. Only screened in candidates have to appear for TAT test. Thematic Apperception Test of SSB is very crucial for good scoring as it explores Officer Like Qualities (OLQs) of the candidates. Generally TAT will be conducted on 2nd day of SSB.
In TAT, all candidates will be seated in an auditorium or a big hall. There will be a projector set to project the pictures on the screen. SSB officer will brief all the candidates about the test before TAT starts.
Briefing for TAT tests of SSB interview
One by one all TAT pictures will be shown to the candidates. Once the test begins, you will have very little time to relax in between. So all SSB candidates are advised to be quick enough to cope up with the speed.
TIPS FOR TAT:-
1. First, look at the pictures carefully showing on the screen and relate to the pictures to form an idea in your mind about the situation.
2. Most likely, it is always easy to form an idea to drive it with a positive approach and then write a story on that idea
3. Write story on that idea which comes to your mind at the very beginning.
4.Each story must have a central character with whom you can identify with. The hero should act in a normal manner to find out the solution of the problem.
5.The story should have some supporting character that can help the main character to come out of the problem.
6.Do not write pre-conceived stories, because the pictures stories are set to an accorded pattern. And if one misses or skips through the loop, the psychologist can easily trace that your story does not follow the psychological pattern which can get you out.
7.To narrate the story, use names of people in your group as the central character. And do not use RAM, SHYAM, SITA, and GEETA as the main character instead.
8.The stories should always reflect your personality. As it will be crosschecked in the WAT, SRT and self description.
9. FOR EXAMPLE- If in a story, you are writing that X is a sportsperson then you should also have played sports in your life.
11. If you are friendly and lively than it should reflect in the main character’s personality. He should be fun loving and friendly in the story.
12.An important note: Try to portray as many officers like quality you have in your personality in the stories and let it appear in other psyche tests also.
13. The main character has to be positive and bring out the story as a positive one.
14. Your hero must have an organized , disciplined and logical approach to the problems of life.
15.Your hero must show determination to achieve aims and goals in life.
16.Your hero must have a helpful attitude.
17. Your story must have a positive and constructive base.
18. If your hero has derived a plan, it should be backed by Hard work , overcoming difficulties and having an optimistic view of life.
19. Your hero must have the ability to coordinate the working of a group.
20.Your hero must have confidence, energy and positive bend of mind.
21.Your hero must have high ambitions or aims in life.
22.Your hero must show social adaptability.
23.Your hero must show Speed of Action.
24.Your story must have a brief introduction about the background of the hero, a main body and a final result part.
25.Your hero should have the same age and sex of you.
26.Your hero must be a normal, natural Human.
27.Write the first thought that comes to your mind.
29.Your story must have a strong, acceptable plot and theme.
Here , the Psychologist considers yourself as the Hero. So TAT is the most important Psychological test
Tips to follow when the ideas do not come to your mind, here I am using some examples: